Color therapy is also known as chromotherapy. The idea of color therapy is to heal mental and physical health. Color therapy has a long history and researches showed that color therapy was practiced in ancient Egypt, Greece, China, and India. In modern days, color therapy or chromotherapy is used as an alternative medicine therapy. Color therapy is mainly used for anxiety and depression.
What is color therapy; what is it for?
Color therapy, color healing, or chromotherapy has different cultural and spiritual connections throughout the world. A commonly used type of color therapy is colored lights which illuminate the room during a therapeutic session.
Color therapy helps to improve:
- attention span, learning, and academic performance
- aggressive behavior
- blood pressure
- breathing capabilities
- athletic performance and recovery
- muscle relaxation
- sleep quality
- migraines and headaches
- fibroid pain
- vision problems
- stress and anxiety
Psychological Effects of Different Colors:
We all have experienced that colors affect our mood and mental health in different ways. Here is a list of colors and their benefits for chromotherapy or color healing:
The green color heals sadness, depression, and hopeless mood because it is considered the most balancing color. In color therapy, green color is also used to enhance the emotions of love, joy, and inner peace.
Color therapists use blue color therapy to zap your low energy. It helps you express your feelings, brings peace and relaxation. The blue color is also used for meditation.
Yellow color therapy is used for energy, and it encourages action. The yellow color helps to bring out your wisdom and intelligence and it is the strongest color in the color spectrum.
Orange color therapy is used for abundance, pleasure, well-being, and sexuality. Color therapists use this color to stimulate different human body organs for healing.
Red is considered more stimulating than orange. Color therapists use red color therapy for physical healing because its emotional effects can be extreme.
Purple color therapy is associated with beauty, spirituality, and bliss. Color therapists advise using violet or purple colors on the forehead and neck for calmness and relaxation.
How to Do It?
If you wonder that how can you use color therapy at home? Here I have some simple ideas for implementing color therapy.
- You can choose colors purposefully when painting your rooms for a better mood, enhance wisdom, or increase productivity.
- You can take advantage of the uplifting effects of sunlight by spending a minimum of 20 minutes in sunlight every day.
- You can choose color glasses according to your mood. Color therapists suggest wearing color therapy glasses for 30 minutes to feel the impact of color on your mood and mental and physical health.
- You can take advantage of nature’s colors. Many color therapist advice to go outdoors in nature and expose yourself to different colors to breath in their energies.
- Color therapy can be done through creative activities like painting, drawing, or gardening.
So, guys! Which color do you like most and what effects does it creates on your mood? Let us know in the comment box.